Are you considering rescuing a pup to join your family? Are you a first-time pet parent and need a little help in learning what you’re getting into? If so, keep on reading.
Whether it’s a puppy or an adult doggo, you can expect more work than just feeding and exercising. Unlike cats, doggies require a little bit more of work in the grooming department. Regular nail trims, teeth brushing, and coat grooming at a minimum.
Furthermore, certain breeds of dogs with certain features will require more regular maintenance. In terms of grooming alone, keep in mind the following when searching for your new best friend:
- Live in a super-hot climate year-round? Try to avoid doggies with a particularly thick coat, like a Malamute, Husky, or Mastiff. These pups can get overheated especially when outside exercising, these guys also need to be brushed well to remove loose hair from their undercoat.
- Longer hair dogs may require regular visits to a groomer for haircuts, a sometimes-overlooked regular cost that adds up over time. They may also require more frequent bathing to keep them from smelling, well like a wet dog.
- Brachycephalic (smooshed face) pups tend to have more trouble breathing because of their facial structure. These pups aren’t great for a super active family that likes to go for long hikes. These pups are also prone to runny eyes that need to be cleaned regularly to avoid staining their fur.
- Wrinkly dogs, while adorable also have some special needs. Those adorable folds are breeding grounds for bacteria, so the body and face need to be cleaned regularly to prevent infection.
- Dental Hygiene, just like you, dogs need their teeth brushed. Dental health is important for overall health, so remember to brush your doggy’s teeth several times a week.
What other general pointers would you give to someone looking to adopt a pup? Have you adopted a pup recently? Tell us what you’ve learned.
Want more pointers on caring for your new furry family member? Check out the Toe Beans Dog Grooming 101: How to Uncover and Maintain your Pup’s Natural Beauty on Amazon. Read for FREE on Kindle Unlimited or, simply give us a boost by sharing it with your friends and family 😉